Stomach is a ‘J’ shaped and very important organ of the body that plays an important role in digestive system of human body. It secretes various enzymes to digest the food and it protects intestines from different diseases. The enzymes secreted by the stomach are not only helpful in digestion of food but also protects us from other diseases. It is connected with small intestine and esophagus, also related to the liver and pancreas. There are different and several kinds of diseases related to stomach that are very common. According to a survey, in a hospital there are more than 25% of the patients having diseases related to stomach. Indigestion is very common problem.
Common diseases are:
- Heart burn
- Nausea and vomiting
- Intestinal gas
- Stomach pain
- Stomach ulcer (gastritis)
- Stomach cancer
Different types of food like tea, coffee, spicy food, nuts etc can cause stomach problems. Smoking is also a major link to the disease of stomach. Intake of alcohol is also very dangerous and can cause chronic diseases. Use of medication is also dangerous sometimes like use of aspirin on regular basis. All these described diseases and their causes can be controlled by following certain health precautions and medical aids. But it is not necessary that these are the only problems for stomach diseases, there are some who some persons who always avoid these things but they have these problems. According to medical records out of the people admitted in hospitals, 25 % are affected by stomach problems. A few diseases caused by stomach are as follows.
Major diseases of Stomach
- Loose motions
- Stomach ache
Symptoms of stomach problems are:
- Bloody or black stools.
- Vomit containing blood or nausea.
- Sudden weight loss.
- Sharp pains
- In summer season have food with less calories. Reduce the use of potatoes because it is a starchy food that causes intestinal gas.
- Consider the hygiene factors.
- Causes of vomiting can be stress, overeating, viruses and bacteria. If you feel vomit, then let the stomach to have some rest. Do not drink any carbonated liquid till you feel better but have plenty of water. If the condition is severe go to doctor for treatment.
- Use of alcohol, nicotine and spicy food cause heartburn. So avoid these items and in case of heart burn raise your head of bed from 6 to 8 inches.